Monday, August 31, 2009

Sunday night bath

This is a slightly different sketch for me.
Instead of doing it all digitally, or traditionally, I did a mix of both.
I started by sketching the bathroom while on the train, and, after I'd scanned it in, I thought...hmmm.. how would it look if I drew in characters digitally?

I'm only so so with the results, but it's an interesting process , and I think there's definitely something to it.
What do you guys think?


Here is the version without character



















and here's the one with characters

5 comments:

Pop9 said...

It does work, no problemo.

Humble Abode said...

There is a cartoon called Captain Flamingo that has almost the opposite style (broad lined foreground, no outlines on background). Gives the effect of drawing your eye in to the focal point. I love the background on this image with all the dark lines but find it draws my eye away from the "action".

pascal said...

Pop9 thanks!

Teh lexophile..hmm..don't know that show , but I like the test. I agree that I want to see the BG more, probably because I first did the bathroom without thinking of putting characters in..but there's definitely something to try here.
Thanks for the feedback!

rina said...

well, I think it works with the mix. but in this specific case I like the bathroom without character better, just because I like the drawing so much. If you'd shown only the one with characters, I'd have loved it too. now that I see both, I don't like the red tongues so much in the second version :) but in general I think that the technique is interesting and worth some more experiments.

pascal said...

Thanks Rinaj...I like the one without the characters better as well..which just goes to show you that a background is never JUST a backgroung. It's a full character and you shouldn't just slap behind any character!